Thursday, April 22, 2010
FRIDAY 4/23 (10 PM)
STILL TALKING: NEW FILM & POETRY
$8 / $7 students & seniors
In conjunction with We Saw The Light: Conversations Between New American Cinema & Poetry (4/30, see below), this event features readings, screenings and performance from five young Brooklyn-based poets and filmmakers: Jessica Fiorini, Derek Kroessler, Andrew Lampert, Dani Leventhal & Fern Silva.
Jessica Fiorini is the author of the chapbooks Sea Monster at Night (Goodbye Better) and Light Suite (forthcoming from Pudding House Publications). She has been published in Lungfull!, Brooklyn Rail and the Poetry Project Newsletter. Jessica currently lives in Brooklyn.
Derek Kroessler originally hails from Providence, RI and is finishing up his senior year at NYU. His poems have appeared in Pleasure, and he has one homemade chapbook, Word/Turd.
Born in the mid-70s in the Midwest, Andrew Lampert has staged performances and exhibited his films at The Whitney Museum of American Art, The Getty Museum, The British Film Institute, The Kitchen, The Rotterdam International Film Festival, Kill Your Timid Notion Festival, Light Industry, Mitchell Algus Gallery and many other venues here and abroad. He lives in Brooklyn.
Dani Leventhal’s videos are distributed through the Video Data Bank. She has screened her work at Oberhausen, Rotterdam, Gene Siskel Film Center, CineCycle and Anthology Film Archives. In 2007 she got an Astraea Visual Arts Award and a Women's Studio Workshop Book Arts Grant. In 2003 she received an MFA in Sculpture from the University of Illinois at Chicago and in 2009 an MFA in film/video from Bard College. danileventhal.com
Fern Silva’s work has been screened and performed at various festivals, galleries, and cinematheques including International Film Festival Rotterdam, New York Film Festival, Anthology Film Archive, Images Festival, IndieLisboa International Film Festival, Bangkok Experimental Film Festival, Biennale Bandits-Mages Festival, Roulette Gallery, Millennium Film Workshop and White Box Gallery. He received a BFA from Massachusetts College of Art and is in the process of receiving his MFA from Bard College. fernsilva.comThe Poetry Project at St. Mark’s Church, 131 E. 10th St. at 2nd Ave., New York, NY
FRIDAY 4/30 (panel 6:30 PM / film program 8 PM)
WE SAW THE LIGHT: CONVERSATIONS BETWEEN NEW AMERICAN CINEMA
AND POETRY – TALK & SCREENING
In We Saw the Light: Conversations Between the New American Cinema and Poetry (University of Iowa Press, 2009), Daniel Kane draws on correspondence and interviews with key figures in innovative cinema and writing of the 1960s to provide a fresh look at film’s influence on poetry. Please join us for a discussion amongst filmmakers and poets, and stay for a special screening of 16mm prints. Talk (6:30-7:30 PM) Ed Bowes, Jacob Burckhardt, Abigail Child, Cole Heinowitz, Jonas Mekas and Jennifer Reeves. Moderated by Daniel Kane. Film Program (8 PM) A selection of short films by Stan Brakhage, Christopher Maclaine, Abigail Child, Jonas Mekas, Marie Menken, Rudy Burckhardt & Jacob Burckhardt, Jennifer Reeves & Ed Bowes.
Stan Brakhage: Two: Creeley/McClure (1965) 16mm, color, silent, 5 min; Christopher Maclaine: The Man Who Invented Gold (1957) 16mm, color, sound, 14 min; Jonas Mekas: Hare Krishna (1966) 16mm, color, sound, 4 min; Abigail Child: Surface Noise (2000) 16mm, 18 min; Jennifer Reeves: excerpt from The Time We Killed (2004), 16mm; Rudy Burckhardt: The Automative Story (1954), 16mm, b&w, 15 min; Jacob Burckhardt: Black and White (2001) 16mm, b&w, 10 min; Marie Menken: Lita’s Party (1964?), 16mm, 4 min; Ed Bowes: excerpt from Entanglement (2009)
The Poetry Project at St. Mark’s Church, 131 E. 10th St. at 2nd Ave., New York, NY 10003
Subways: L to 1st or 3rd Ave / N, Q, R, W, 4, 5, 6 to 14th St – Union Square
Monday, April 19, 2010
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Saturday, April 10, 2010
New work from the MFA program in
Friday, April 16, 5-7
(between Houston & Bleecker)
F train to 2nd Ave, 6 train to Bleecker
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Friday, April 2, 2010
Books & Pamphlets
- Manatee/Humanity, Penguin Poets, 2009
- Red Noir (performance pieces) Farfalla, McMillen, Parrish, 2007
- Outrider, La Alameda Press, 2006
- Structure of the World Compared to a Bubble, Penguin Poets, 2004.
- In the Room of Never Grieve: New & Selected Poems 1985 – 2003, Coffee House Press, 2003.
- Dark Arcana / Afterimage or Glow, Heaven Bone Press, 2003.
- [Things] Seen Unseen, 2002.
- War Crime, 2002.
- Vow to Poetry: Essays, Interviews, & Manifestos, Coffee House Press, 2001.
- Marriage: A Sentence, Penguin Poets, 2000.
- Iovis II, Coffee House Press, 1997.
- Fast Speaking Woman, 20th Anniversary Edition, City Lights Books, 1996.
- Kill or Cure, Penguin Poets, 1996.
- lovis: All Is Full of Jove, Coffee House Press, 1993.
- Troubairitz, Fifth Planet Press, 1993.
- Fait Accompli, Last Generation Press, 1992.
- Lokapala, Rocky Ledge, 1991.
- Not a Male Pseudonym, Tender Buttons Books, 1990.
- Helping the Dreamer: New and Selected Poems: 1966-1988, Coffee House Press, 1989.
- Tell Me About It, Bloody Twin Press, 1989.
- The Romance Thing, Bamberger Books, 1987.
- Blue Mosque, United Artists, 1987.
- Skin Meat Bones, Coffee House Press, 1985.
- Makeup on Empty Space, Toothpaste Press, 1984.
- First Baby Poems, Rocky Ledge, 1982, augmented edition, Hyacinth Girls, 1983.
- Cabin, Z Press, 1981.
- Countries, Toothpaste Press, 1980.
- To a Young Poet, White Raven, 1979.
- Shaman / Shamane, White Raven, 1977.
- Hotel Room, Songbird, 1976.
- Journals and Dreams, Stonehill, 1976.
- Fast Speaking Woman and Other Chants, City Lights, 1975 (revised edition, 1978).
- Sun the Blonde Out, Arif, 1975.
- Fast Speaking Woman, Red Hanrahan Press, 1974.
- The Contemplative Life, Alternative Press, c. 1974.
- Life Notes: Selected Poems, Bobbs-Merrill, 1973.
- The West Indies Poems, Adventures in Poetry, 1972.
- Spin Off, Big Sky, 1972.
- Light and Shadow, Privately printed, 1972.
- Holy City, privately printed, 1971.
- No Hassles, Kulchur Foundation, 1971.
- Icy Rose, Angel Hair, 1971.
- Baby Breakdown, Bobbs-Merrill, 1970.
- Giant Night: Selected Poems, Corinth Books, 1970.
- Up Through the Years, Angel Hair, 1970.
- O My Life!, Angel Hair, 1969.
- On the Wing, Boke, 1968.
- Fleuve Flâneur (with Mary Kite), Erudite Fangs, 2004.
- Zombie Dawn (with Tom Clark), Skanky Possum Press, 2003.
- Polemics (with Anselm Hollo & Jack Collom), Autonomedia.
- Young Manhattan (with Bill Berkson).
- Ai Lit / Holy (with Eleni Sikelianos & Laird Hunt), 2001.
- Polar Ode (With Eileen Myles), Dead Duke, 1979.
- Four Travels (With Reed Bye), Sayonara, 1979.
- Sphinxeries (With Denyse duRoi), 1979.
- Self Portrait (With Joe Brainard), Siamese Banana Press, 1973.
- Memorial Day (With Ted Berrigan), Poetry Project, 1971.
- Matching Half (music by Ambrose Bye) with Akilah Oliver, 2007
- The Eye of The Falcon (music by Ambrose Bye) 2006.
- In the Room of Never Grieve (music by Ambrose Bye)
- By the Side of the Road (with Ishtar Kramer), 2003.
- Battery: Live from Naropa, 2003.
- Alchemical Elegy: Selected Songs and Writings, Fast Speaking Music, 2001.
- Beat Poetry, ABM, London,1999.
- Jazz Poetry, ABM, London,1999.
- Women of The Beat Generation, Audio-Literature, 1996.
- Live in Amsterdam, Soyo Productions, 1992.
- Assorted Singles, Phoebus Productions,1990.
- Made Up in Texas, Paris Records (Dallas), 1986.
- Crack in the World, Sounds True (Boulder),1986.
- Uh-Oh Plutonium!, Hyacinth Girls Music (NYC), 1982.
- Fast Speaking Woman, "S" Press Tapes (Munich), n.d.
- John Giorno and Anne Waldman, Giorno Poetry Systems Records, 1977.
- Beauty and the Beast (With Allen Ginsberg), Naropa Institute, 1976.
- Other recordings include The Dial-a-Poem Poets, Disconnected and The Nova Convention,
Big Ego, Giorno Poetry Systems, and The World Record.
Film and Video
- Colors In the Mechanism of Concealment, with Ed Bowes, 2004.
- The Menage (for Carl Rakosi), with Ed Bowes, 2003.
- Live at Naropa, Phoebus Productions, 1990.
- Battle of the Bards, (Lannan Foundation), Metropolitan Pictures, Los Angeles, 1990.
- Eyes in All Heads, Phoebus Productions, 1989.
- “Uh-Oh Plutonium!” (1982), first prize at the American Film Festival, Manhattan Video Project,
Out There Productions (NYC).
- Cooked Diamonds, Fried Shoes, with Allen Ginsberg, William Burroughs, and Meredith Monk
- Poetry in Motion, directed by Ron Mann, Sphinx Productions (Toronto).
- Also performed in Bob Dylan's film Renaldo and Clara (1978), with a recording of the poem Fast Speaking Woman included on the sound track.
- Civil Disobediences: Poetics and Politics in Action (with Lisa Birman), Coffee House Press, 2004.
- The Angel Hair Anthology: Angel Hair Sleeps With A Boy In My Head (with Lewis Warsh), Granary Books, 2001.
- The Beat Book, Shambhala Publications, Boston, 1996.
- Disembodied Poetics: Annals of the Jack Kerouac School, University of New Mexico Press, 1993.
- Out of This World: An Anthology from The Poetry Project at the St. Mark's Church In-the-Bowery 1966-1991, Crown Publishing Group, 1991.
- Nice to See You: Homage to Ted Berrigan, Coffee House Press, 1991.
- Talking Poetics: Annals of the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics (with Marilyn Webb), Shambhala, vols. 1 and 2, 1978.
- Another World, Bobbs-Merrill, 1971.
- The World Anthology: Poems from the St. Mark's Poetry Project, Bobbs-Merrill, 1969.
- Breaking the Cool: Interviewing and Reading Beat Women Writers, eds. Nancy M. Grace and Ronna C. Johnson, University of Mississippi Press, 2004.
- City Lights, ed. Maria Anita Stefanelli, ILA Oalma Press, Italy, 2004.
- All Poets Welcome: The Lower East Side Poetry Scene, University of California Press, Berkeley, CA, 2003.
- Women of the Beat Generation, foreword and contributor, Conari Press, Berkeley, CA, 1996.
- Postmodern American Poetry: A Norton Anthology, ed. Paul Hoover, W.W. Norton, New York, 1994.
- Poems for the Millennium, vol. II: The University of California Book of Modern and Postmodern Poetry: From Postwar to Millennium, eds. Jerome Rothenberg and Pierre Joris, University of California Press, Berkeley, CA, 1998.
- The Portable Beat Reader, ed. Ann Charters, Viking Penguin Books, New York, 1992.
- Up Late : American Poetry Since 1970, ed. Andrei Codrescu, Four Walls Eight Windows, New York, 1988.
Awards and Grants
- Fellow, The Emily Harvey Foundation, Venice, winter 2007.
- Atlantic Center for the Arts Residency, 2002.
- Civitella Ranieri Center Fellow, 2001.
- Foundation for Contemporary Arts Grant Recipient, 2001.
- Vermont Studio School Residency, 2001.
- The Poetry Society of America’s Shelley Memorial Award, 1996.
- National Endowment for the Arts Grant, 1979-80.
- The National Literary Anthology Award, 1970.
- The Poets Foundation Award, 1969.
- The Dylan Thomas Memorial Award, 1967.
- Two-time winner of the International Poetry Championship Bout in Taos, New Mexico